Google+

Thursday 16 April 2015

How Pinterest killed my blog.

Pin It

Well well well.. not REALLY. But hey, I definitely spend more time on Pinterest nowadays than here, writing up little nuggets for you, the counter-culture-loving armchair-revolutionist.

I am 'big' on Pinterest. That's not actually my words, that's the general reaction when people look at the number of my Pinterest followers:


Funny thing is that I've never done anything to get that many followers except from pinning pics that I like to some boards that reflect some of my interests. No networking or following or god knows what 'increase your Pinterest followers' tactics. My main reason why I actually enjoy Pinterest is because I don't have to talk to anyone. I only follow a couple of other people there and never really  talk to anyone. It's very meditative. It's like doing a massive puzzle, or like collecting stamps. It's therapeutic. It provides a safe visual haven in a digital world of action & reaction, of opinions & spin, of neediness & arse-licking galore. It's my safe place. That's why I love it and that's why I nowadays spend more time pinning than blogging.


There is a lot of trash talk out there about "Pinterest being for women", which I find both ignorant and misogynistic. It's just a platform for whatever you want to do with it. Just a canvas, nothing more. And of course, like any open platform and forum, it reflects society, so there is a lot of boring shit on Pinterest ; ] But also a lot of nuggets - if you know where to look.

I also often get asked "why don't you monetize your account??" Well, that would probably take the joy and lightness out of it, no? And therefore corrupt what I actually love about Pinterest. It's the same with this blog here: "Why is it not on wordpress with added SEOplugin??".. "why are there no adword ads??" .. "why oh why?" .. yeah.. because I don't care. I can't be bothered. I even ditched my custom supaswag.co.uk domain last year because the [German] host was a total dick because of some payment issues. No-one cares.

But hey, never say never. I rank front page in Google for a couple of great keyphrases with some of my boards. Please send your generous offers in a letter.

xxx

ps: I just challenged myself to spend one hour every week to write an interesting blog post. No fillers.. if I can't come up with something interesting after one hour I'll leave it and jump a week. I don't want to be a lazy arse blogger.

Visit Ingo's profile on Pinterest.

0 comments: